Santa Barbara Zen Center
Sensei Gary Koan Janka, Head Teacher and Officiating Priest
All Are Welcome
Beginners are invited to phone in advance to request zazen instruction: 213.479.9519
Sunday Morning Service, Zazen, & Dharma Talk
MacVeagh House, Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History
2559 Puesta del Sol
- 8:30 Set-Up
- 9:00 Sutra Service
- 9:25 Zazen (Sitting Meditation)
- 9:55 Kinhin (Walking Meditation)
- 10:05 Zazen (Sitting Meditation)
- 10:35 Dharma Talk
Those arriving during service may enter and take a seat.
Those arriving after the start of the first period of zazen must
wait to take a seat until after kinhin.
Sensei Koan offers private interviews during zazen;
his attendant will solicit requests from participants and explain protocols.
for Sunday morning Zazen: $5 for each sitting,
or $35 per month for regular SBZC practitioners.
Dana (generosity) for the teacher is also appreciated.
No one is turned away for lack of funds.
Directions to MacVeagh House
- Follow East Los Olivos past the Santa Barbara Mission.
- It becomes Mission Canyon Road.
- Drive past Rocky Nook Park on your right.
- Turn left onto Las Encinas Road.
- Drive one block and turn left onto Puesta del Sol.
- Turn right into the parking lot for the Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History.
- Drive well into the lot and you will see the dome of the planetarium.
- Look for the MacVeagh House sign.
- Park and walk down the stone path to the house.
Santa Ynez Valley Zen Sangha
Los Olivos Community Organization Hall (formerly The Grange Hall)
2374 Alamo Pintado Road, Los Olivos
- Meets weekly on Wednesdays, 9-10:30 am and 5:30-6:30 pm.
- Sessions are open to the public.
- SYVZS is led by Carol Kanjin Abrahamson, a Valley resident and Soto Zen priest affiliated with the Santa Barbara Zen Center.
- Chairs with cushions and zafus and zabutons (meditation cushions) are provided.
- Out of courtesy to other practitioners, please arrive quietly and be seated before the start of a session.
- Persons new to Zen practice are requested to participate in a coaching session with either Kanjin or JP Sullivan. Please contact to schedule a meeting (Kanjin: 818.813.4008 or email@example.com / JP: 805.284.1645 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Dana (generosity) is appreciated for the teacher and to support the work of the sangha.
- Open Meditation in the Zendo is available to all practitioners on Wednesdays from 1 to 5 pm.
- Tea and conversation are offered from 2:30 to 3:30 on the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays.
- Silent Tea is offered from 2:30 to 3:30 on 1st, 3rd, and 5th Wednesdays.
Preferred Zendo Attire
It is customary for Zen practitioners to wear black (or other dark) loose-fitting clothing and shoes that you can easily slip on and off.
Please visit the EVENTS page for information about upcoming classes, retreats, and special services.